Michael M. Boyle Scholarship Application Academic - College
Please read the following information in its entirety. All questions should be directed to Suzanne Geyer, Associate Executive Director, Greater Philadelphia Hotel Association at (215) 557-1900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The GPHA Michael M. Boyle Scholarship Fund’s scholarship program offers education and career opportunities that propel professionals and students in the industry forward. The scholarship trust fund is managed by The Philadelphia Foundation with oversight conducted by the Scholarship Committee.
About the Scholarship: The Michael M. Boyle scholarship is awarded annually to area college-bound high school seniors and college students pursuing careers in the hospitality industry and GPHA members looking to further their education through Workforce Development/ Professional Development Courses. This scholarship is dedicated in memory of Michael M. Boyle who was a key figure in reviving Philadelphia’s hospitality industry. He served as the Greater Philadelphia Hotel Association’s President from 1998-2000 and was a founding member of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation (Visit Philadelphia). He was a vigorous visionary and a devoted advocate for the hospitality industry in Philadelphia. These scholarships are a testament to his vision and passion for the hotel community in Philadelphia.
Application: Application submissions must be complete. Any application received without one or more of the requirements will not be submitted to the scholarship committee for evaluation nor considered for the scholarship.
To be eligibility for the scholarship program:
- Applicants must be enrolled as a student in an accredited university or in a specialty school with a declared major in hotel/restaurant management, hospitality management, food service or other hospitality-related program.
- Applicant is an immediate family member (spouse or child) of an employee who has been employed for at least six (6) months at a GPHA member hotel in good standing.
- A letter of recommendation from teachers/instructors, employers, and/or personal references. Two letters are acceptable.
- Transcript from most recently attended school with proof of 3.0 GPA.
- A short essay (200 words) describing who you are, your work experience and why you wish to pursue a career in the hospitality industry.
- Letter of acceptance from the post-secondary school (unless currently enrolled).
- Resume (optional). Would suggest attaching if you have one.
- Scholarships amount is based upon Scholarship Committee’s recommendation.
- The scholarship award check will be made out to the student’s college in their name to be used towards tuition and books for the first semester of college 2022 - 2023.
- Completed scholarship application must be postmarked no later than Thursday, June 2 2022.
* If you are unable to provide a digital copy of any of the above documents, you may send in a paper copy to the following address. Any mailed materials must be postmarked by June 2 and clearly labeled with the applicant's name.
GPHA Scholarship Fund
1617 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Suite 810
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Hospitality work experience is preferred but not required. A personal interview may be required to receive an award. Scholarships are NOT automatically recurring, but students may re-apply each year they are eligible.
Candidates will be notified in early July whether or not they will receive a scholarship award. Scholarship monies will be mailed directly to the institution of higher education in mid-July. For more information, call (215) 557-1900 or email email@example.com